What’s The Difference? Type of Course and Course Content


Now that you already know what you want to study, it all comes down to how you want to study it. There are different types of courses, and some courses vary in its content. Like finding other things, you have to know what’s best for you.

The most common and most known difference between courses are the levels that you can study it. While most courses lead to a degree, others lead to sub-degree forms like the Higher National Diploma, etc. In sub-degree courses, they are usually much shorter and are oriented regarding the vocation itself and most likely has low entry requirements.

Some shorter courses are connected to degree courses, so that you can have the option of further studying the subject, and finally earn a degree if you perform in an above average manner in the initial parts of the course itself.

The other type of differences regarding courses lie on the aspects of the course itself. First, you study a certain type of course, the most general one. During the later years, due to the large variety of academic development in the course, you can pick a specialty–or a major. Sometimes, like medicine, you have to know what subject to take up first, before you can finally pick a specialized course which is dentistry, ophthalmology, etc. If granted that you don’t want to take up your current decision, you could always turn back to the other related courses in your department–just in case you want to change your decision.

Even for courses with almost the same content, there might be some important differences. These are some opportunities you might want to check out:

It would be good to spend a year or a quarter of a year or so under the European Union while under the Erasmus programme. (Click here for Erasmus programme info)

You can extend your course to four to five years can get you a Master’s degree. This set up is usually common in engineering and most science courses. Actually, you can do this on most courses now. You can also study abroad or get work placements allowing you to have a Master’s qualification and have relevant experience. These types of Master’s degree are called Integrated Master’s.

Also, you can go study or work abroad by means of an exchange program, but not pertaining to language study. This way, you can still acquire experience and additional relevance and context.
There you have it! This article is not much, but we hope that it somehow gave you an idea! Check if your course leads to a degree, or if not, make sure it does eventually!

Speak Your Mind